Eurocode EN1990 paragraph 2.3 Table 2.1, gives an indicative design working life of a structure depending on its use. For example agricultural buildings can be designed to have a working life of 15 to 30 years. Other common structures shall be designed for a 50 year working life and structures like bridges and other monumental buildings of high importance shall be designed for a 100 years life span.
This can only be achieved if the following are taken into account:
• the intended use of the structure is thoroughly investigated during design
• proper selection of a structural system and design
• all possible environmental conditions are accounted and investigated properly
• proper use of the right materials and their composition
• all necessary protective measures are taken, and
• proper maintenance by the owner during the structures working life.